Save bandwidth by using Rackspace to deliver your downloadable products, now updated to the latest Rackspace API
We have updated our Rackspace Cloud Files integration to the latest API, allowing your downloadable products to be handled by Rackspace. On 1st August 2013 Rackspace decommissioned php-cloudfiles SDK and now uses php-opencloud SDK.
How the module works
It allows you to host your downloadable products on Rackspace Cloud. To do this, it generates secure URLs for the files you have put on Rackspace Cloud. Each URL is unique and expires after a pre-defined timeout so that only the people who bought the product can access it.
Why use it?
- You use less bandwidth on your store and less storage space on your server. Most hosting plans come with limited amount of bandwidth and storage space and a subscription to Rackspace Cloud is probably cheaper than paying for extra bandwidth/storage for your site.in addition to saving bandwidth and storage the module reduces the load on the server by offloading the request to Rackspace.
- Depending on what kind of hosting plan you have, it could provide a better service for your clients as they will be downloading from faster Rackspace Cloud servers.
- In addition to saving bandwidth and storage, we also reduce the load on the server by offloading the request to Rackspace’s beefy servers.
All you need to do
- Install the module
- Enter your Rackspace Cloud Files Username and API key in the administration area (for making the secure URLs)
- Upload your downloadable products to Rackspace Cloud files
- Use the Rackspace Cloud Files CDN URL to your uploaded files to create your downloadable products
- That’s it! The secure URL will be automatically generated for the customer when they try and download from the “My Downloadable Products” section.
Did you know? We have an Amazon S3 version of this extension too.
An email has been sent to all previous purchasers of this extension within instructions on how to download the update for free.
Another thing we should probably mention is that we’re professional Magento Developers. We’ve built this module to the highest standards following best practices in Magento module development.